Sunday, April 17, 2011

Open Wide Your Hearts

On March 30th Dr. Oakes, the president of Central Christian College of the Bible, sent this email to Central's staff, and on April 5th, he repeated a portion of it to the student body at the end of chapel.  Here is a part of his letter as well as my resignation letter:

Through earlier prayer requests, you knew that Regina Green's cancer had returned. Initially the doctor thought the spot that was discovered was treatable and curable. Unfortunately, through further diagnosis and tests, the doctor recognized the cancer had spread into her hips and bones. Though treatments will help with the pain, the current situation is not curable and the doctor has given Regina 1 - 2 years to live.
As a result, Regina will complete this academic year and then return to Cincinnati to be with her family. Please take a few moments right now, as well as each day, to lift Regina before our Lord in prayer. She has an exceptionally strong faith in God and she wants to be a witness to others of that faith that she has. Pray that God's compassion and strength will be abundantly poured out upon her as she faces each day.

We love and respect Regina. We love her ministry here and the significant contribution she has made to the Kingdom, as well as to Central Christian College of the Bible. She has touched all of us in one way or another, and we thank God for her....

Regina sent a resignation letter to Dr. Fincher and I am including it here so you can "hear" it in her own words:

Dear Fellow-Laborers,

So many memories and feelings run through my mind as I write this letter of resignation...the honor of being called to work here--and with MY teachers, David [Fincher] listening to me with kindness and compassion, Ben Williams praying for me with tears, Richard [Rexrode] doing "the right thing" even when it was so challenging, Rory [Christensen] stopping by my office to ask how I was doing and getting an earful, Dan Donaldson asking how he could pray for me, Stuart [Liegey] encouraging me even when I felt I had failed, Lori [Peter] and Anne [Menear] doing an "intervention" with me, working with all of you to make the College better, inspiration from your preaching and from your lives, finding a best friend in Rhonda [Dunham], the thrill of teaching and having the light come on for students, students becoming friends. All of these and so many more are treasures I have stored up in my heart. How I will miss this place!

But now I have to go home. When I first learned I had cancer I considered it, but when I learned I only had one to two years to live, I knew I had to go and live near my children, my grandchildren, and my mother. So I am resigning as of the end of the contract year. My heart weeps over this decision because I have enjoyed every minute of my ministry here and at [Timber Lake Christian Church]. I love Central and will continue to support her in any way I can.

I covet your prayers as I will "thank my God every time I remember you" and hold you up before the Father pleading for all the good things he has to give you.

Much love,
Regina
----------------------------------------
 
After Dr. Oakes repeated some of his letter to the students, they gave me a standing ovation and he invited me to say a few words.  I don't remember all of what I said, but this is what was in my heart:
 
"I want you to know that God is Sovereign.  He can do whatever he wants with me.  He and I settled that a long time ago.  And that will be okay with me, whether he chooses to heal me or to take me home to be with him.  It will all result in His praise and glory and that is what I want. 
 
"Six years ago when I left Cincinnati to come here I was worried about leaving my daughters.  I cried out to God about this and he assured me that he would be a Father to them.  I was also distressed about leaving "home" and being homesick for my family and friends.  But then he gave me the scripture from Psalm 90:1, "Lord, through all the generations, you have been our home."  I realized again that no matter where I am, as long as he is with me, I am already home.  So, this will be all right too.  Every bit of this will eventually work out for our good."
 
Now here is the good part--Dr. Oakes then invited the students to come forward and surround me and lay hands on me while he prayed for me.  I don't remember a word of his prayer, but I remember a mass of students moving forward and surrounding me.  Touching me and touching each other as a way of reaching me.  Tears ran down my face in rivers.  Then the students came one by one to hug me and thank me and assure me of their love.  My heart swelled to bursting from the love, kindness and tenderness they showed me. 
 
This is a memory that I will always carry with me.  I will take it out again and again to look at it whenever I am down or discouraged.  Memories...of people...with whom I shared my life.
 
Just as a nursing mother cares for her children, so we cared for you. Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well.
I Thessalonians 2:7b, 8

2 comments:

  1. "He can do whatever He wants with me. He and I settled that a long time ago..." This must thrill the Father's heart even though it stings for your loved ones. This is authentic living and touches God's heart and all those around you. Your children and grandchildren will be profoundly impacted as you spend precious time with them. It's a good thing! Grace to you for your journey... Rachel Blevins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you were coming to Cinti under better circumstances, I am looking forward to seeing you.
    Sherrie McKee

    ReplyDelete