Saturday, April 9, 2011

At Just the Right Time

It was the wrong weekend to spend all alone.  Usually I enjoy being by myself and feeling like I can do whatever I want whenever I want to do it.  Having a big chunk of time would be a rare treat.  But I didn't feel good.  Lower level pain was almost constant and sharper pain came whenever I exerted myself to get out of a chair, walk very far, or go up or down steps.  So I sat.  I only got up when I had to.

I watched TV for most of two-and-a-half days.  The drugs made me feel fuzzy-headed and sleepy, even though I took only one at night.  I couldn't grade papers and I didn't want to do anything.  I had already given up teaching the ladies' Sunday school class, and I figured I'd have to give up teaching the women's class--Doing Life Together--on Wednesday nights if I didn't improve.  Nothing about my future was certain.  I felt purposeless.

TV got really old really fast, but there wasn't anything else I wanted to do either.  The sickest feeling pushed into my heart.  I had nothing to give and nobody to give it to.  I didn't even want to give to anyone, and I didn't want anyone around.  But I was lonely, too.  Even God was on hold...until something happened, whether good or bad.  But this was limbo and God was not there.  I didn't care if he was or not.  I wasn't talking to Anyone anyway. 

Sometimes I cried in bed at night, but not for long.  I could drug myself into sleep.  I wanted to sleep so I wouldn't be in pain, but I knew I would wake up in the night hurting and sleep restlessly until it was time to get up and work some of the worst kinks out of my joints.

Finally, Monday came when things were required of me.  My friend, Rhonda, took me to my fourth round of radiation.  She said if we had time, we would go shopping afterward for a lift chair.  My Sunday school class and DLT had collected money to buy it and made arrangements for me to go and pick one out.  I was amazed, stunned!  I hadn't even considered such a thing, and it would help the pain in my hips so much!  Just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, there was one chair that was too small (my head hung over the back when reclining), one was too big (my feet didn't touch the floor), and one was just right!  The right size and the right color.  And it reclined all the way back.  They could deliver it tomorrow.  I was ecstatic!

It was such a considerate and sacrificial gesture!  It was heartwarming and helpful.  And it was a turning point.  If not for their kindness, I could have sunk into an even deeper depression.  They were there for me when I needed them most, at a time when I couldn't have--or wouldn't have--asked for help.  A time when I didn't even know what I needed.

For God says,“At just the right time, I heard you."
2 Corinthians 6:2a

[The righteous] share freely and give generously to those in need.  Their good deeds will be remembered forever.  They will have influence and honor.
Psalm 112:9

3 comments:

  1. The kindness and prayers of others are what help bring me out of the 'pit' too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina, I love you so much. So much of this post broke my heart but I am so glad to hear about your blessing! I LOVE YOU. -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mother. that's an honor. i love you so much.

    ReplyDelete